In 1906 or thereabouts, the building or “hall” was built by The Modern Woodsmen of America Insurance Company, a fraternal organization dedicated to community involvement and support. Their creed was, “There is a destiny that makes us brothers, none goes his way alone, all that we send into the lives of others comes back into our own.”
In 1937 they deeded the property to the community and the Olalla Community Club was incorporated. In the 70’s we became a 501-c-4 organization. The OCC mission and purpose as stated in the original and 1972 amended Articles of Incorporation, are as relevant today as they were in 1937:
- “To engage in and promote worthy community projects for the benefit of the community of Olalla and contiguous territory;
- “To acquire, own and hold a community hall for social, fraternal and scientific purposes;
- “To promote and foster various community projects of a scientific, educational and charitable nature; and
- “Any resident of the community of Olalla shall be eligible for membership in the Olalla Community Club.”
For over 80 years, the Clubhouse has served as the heart of the community with countless dances, meetings and socials. But in the 1980’s the building fell into disuse and disrepair. In 1991, buoyed by the renewed community spirit that included a fight to save Banner Forest, a small but enthusiastic group began the formidable task of renovating the historic building. Shoveling ankle-deep pigeon guano from the upper level was just the beginning. Plumbing, painting, bathroom and kitchen remodeling, foundation work—even digging a well—have brought the Clubhouse to comfortable standards. In the years since, the Clubhouse has served as the scene of swap meets, weddings, scout meetings, political forums, ice cream socials, dances, potluck dinners, birthday parties, and community events, gatherings and support—anything and everything that brings friends, neighbors and families together.
Our clubhouse is one of the few remaining buildings from Olalla’s historic past, and we’re working hard to preserve this community treasure. Today, people in the community are invited to pay a membership fee of $35/per person or $50/family rate to support the mission and upkeep of the Clubhouse. Some of the events held at the Clubhouse generate use fees.